The Managed Applications Development team is focused on building features and scaling and optimization solutions into the platform that powers Nexcess Managed Hosting content and ecommerce applications for our customers. We are looking for a Cloud Architect to join our passionate, collaborative, and globally distributed team to lead technology strategy and architecture.
The Cloud Architect will have experience in full engineering life cycle development and maintenance of complex enterprise-grade systems and platforms. Partnering with engineering and product management, the cloud architect will actively participate and contribute to strategic planning and management of environments, and product releases.
The Cloud Architect will have strong technical expertise and experience in bringing to market leading software products in enterprise, cloud, or virtualization environments and intimately familiar with operationalizing IaaS, PaaS, and Saas architectures.
As a Cloud Architect you would:
- Act as Technical lead for Managed Applications Development team, including design and architecting of solutions, and software development of proof of concepts and foundational scaffolding
- Serve as Primary Architect for Liquid Web on premise and public cloud platforms hosting SaaS based managed application offerings
- Use in-depth product and industry knowledge to provide technical and business expertise to the company
- Set current and future technical strategy and direction for managed applications on container-based platforms
- Design, build, and automate large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant infrastructure and systems
- Design and lead implementation of platform architecture, traversing the technology stack layers, including platform infrastructure, orchestration, application APIs, and customer portal
- Define and ensure security policies in place are met, reviewed, and constantly evolving to meet industry needs
- Focus on giving engineering and operations teams the ability to run better production systems by creating engineering solutions to resolve deployment, monitoring, and operations problems across the enterprise
- Maintain a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Collaborate with architects across platforms and applications to ensure integration, API standards, and holistic approach across the business
- Lead and coach platform engineering and operations teams
- Represent Liquid Web in the industry through publishing, presenting, and collaborating with other technology leaders in house and at events
- 10+ years relevant working experience and 5+ years as a software architect, especially for a large and complex cloud infrastructure. Cloud architecture and hosting experience in public cloud and on premise cloud infrastructure required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant years experience.
- Experience building and supporting complex, high-concurrency SaaS products as a lead developer or architect
- Experience in container operations (Docker, OpenShift Enterprise, GKE, ECS), orchestration (Docker Swarm, Kubernetes), and databases(Postgres, MySql, no sql dbs, etc)
- Skilled with requirement gathering, validation, fulfillment and change management
- Infrastructure operations experience including self-healing autonomy
- 5+ years professional experience in software development or systems engineering at enterprise/web scale
- 5+ years professional experience with platforms and systems
- 5+ years professional experience in infrastructure as code development (Chef, Puppet, Ansible) or infrastructure engineering
- Understanding of cloud computing concepts, immutability, and pipeline automation (AWS, Azure, GCP and private cloud)
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis, and software design
- Experience in one or more of the following: PHP, C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl, or Ruby
- Experience coaching, mentoring, training engineers in a professional environment
- Demonstrated ability to deliver projects that require working with and influencing multiple teams
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage time, prioritize, pay attention to detail, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a greater team, including cross-team activities
- Experience with testing, debugging, and optimizing code
- Proven systematic problem-solving approach with the ability to think analytically
- Demonstrated success in creating solutions through the usage of creative problem-solving techniques
- Ability to work unsupervised, self-manage deliverables, and multi-task concurrent projects
- 100% Employer paid Benefits options - Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription
- Traditional and Roth 401k with company matching
- Fun employer-sponsored events
- A collaborative team culture
- Consistent work hours
- Challenging non-redundant daily duties
- A voice in how things get done
- Access to ongoing training
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all job responsibilities, tasks, or duties. Additional duties and tasks may be assigned as part of the job function. Liquid Web Inc. reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in a way that best supports the organizational needs. The job description in no way creates or implies an employment contract. The employment contract remains “at will”.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Liquid Web is committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.