Liquid Web is seeking a technology leader to join our team as Senior Cloud Platform Architect. This key role reports to the VP of Engineering and will lead technology strategy and architecture for our Managed Applications Platform engineering team. We are looking for an experienced and entrepreneurial technology architect to help with our managed applications platform engineering initiatives.
At Liquid Web, we currently use a number of different infrastructure, platform, and application technologies and are looking for an architect with broad experience architecting, building, and operating SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS solutions at scale in a managed hosting environment leveraging on premise and public cloud infrastructures.
The successful candidate will have experience in full engineering life cycle development and maintenance of complex enterprise-grade systems and platforms. Partnering with product management, the cloud architect will actively participate and contribute to strategic planning and management of environments, and product releases. The platform architect will have significant influence over the strategic, functional, and technical direction of the container platform hosting Liquid Web managed applications.
You will have strong technical expertise and experience in bringing to market leading software products in enterprise, cloud, or virtualization environments and intimately familiar with operationalizing IaaS, PaaS, and Saas architectures. You will be a hands-on technical leader working closely with your peers in engineering, operations, product management, and sales to deliver best of breed solutions.
- Serve as Primary Architect for Liquid Web on premise and public cloud platforms hosting SaaS based managed application offerings
- Use in-depth product and industry knowledge to provide technical and business expertise to the company
- Set current and future technical strategy and direction for managed applications on container-based platforms
- Design, build and automate large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant infrastructure and systems
- Design and lead implementation of platform architecture, traversing the technology stack layers, including platform infrastructure, orchestration, application APIs, and customer portal
- Define and ensure security policies in place are met, reviewed, and constantly evolving to meet industry needs
- Focus on giving engineering and operations teams the ability to run better production systems by creating engineering solutions to resolve deployment, monitoring, and operations problems across the enterprise
- Maintain a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Act as Technical lead for Site Reliability Engineering team, including design and architecting of monitoring solutions, metrics (ie uptime, performance, scalability, security, and so on)
- Collaborate with architects across platforms and applications to ensure integration, API standards, and holistic approach across the business
- Lead and coach platform engineering and operations teams
- Represent Liquid Web in the industry through publishing, presenting, and collaborating with other technology leaders in house and at events
- 10+ years relevant working experience and 5+ years as a software architect, especially for a large and complex cloud infrastructure. Cloud architecture and hosting experience in public cloud and on premise cloud infrastructure required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant years experience.
- Experience building and supporting complex, high-concurrency SaaS products as a lead developer or architect
- Experience in container operations (Docker, OpenShift Enterprise, GKE, ECS), orchestration (Docker Swarm, Kubernetes), and databases(Postgres, MySql, no sql dbs, etc)
- Skilled with requirement gathering, validation, fulfillment and change management
- Infrastructure operations experience including self-healing autonomy
- 5+ years professional experience in software development or systems engineering at enterprise/web scale
- 5+ years professional experience with platforms and systems
- 5+ years professional experience in infrastructure as code development (Chef, Puppet, Ansible) or infrastructure engineering
- Understanding of cloud computing concepts, immutability, and pipeline automation (AWS, Azure, GCP and private cloud)
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis, and software design
- Experience in one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl, or Ruby
- Experience coaching, mentoring, training engineers in a professional environment
- Demonstrated ability to deliver projects that require working with and influencing multiple teams
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage time, prioritize, pay attention to detail, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a greater team, including cross-team activities
- Experience with testing, debugging, and optimizing code
- Proven systematic problem-solving approach with the ability to think analytically
- Demonstrated success in creating solutions through the usage of creative problem-solving techniques
- Ability to work unsupervised, self-manage deliverables, and multi-task concurrent projects
Our Engineering teams are distributed between our Ann Arbor, MI and San Antonio, TX locations. Prefer the architect to live/work in one of these locations. For the right candidate, remote options will be considered.
In this age of technology, we give you more than just the best and widest choice of hosting products. We give you The Most Helpful Humans In Hosting. We believe the more you need technology to fuel your business, the more you need expert, caring people to be there for you.
Liquid Web is the market leader in managed hosting services to SMBs and web professionals. We are all the managed hosting you will ever need. Whether you need the simple elasticity of our PaaS offering, tried-and-true dedicated servers, the fastest VPS in the industry or Managed WordPress, we’ve designed our product portfolio to allow you to choose the hosting product that will best serve your project. You can count on reliability and have the flexibility to run what you like, how you like it. There are no limits here.
Join our team and enjoy the following benefits:
- 100% Employer paid Benefits options - Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription
- Traditional and Roth 401k with company matching
- Continuous beverage service
- Fun employer-sponsored events
- A collaborative team culture
- Flexible work environment
- Challenging non-redundant daily duties
- A voice in how things get done
- Access to ongoing training